If you're planning a picnic, your guests will want to make the most of their time outdoors. Make sure you have something on hand for all ages, and let the games begin!
- Baseball & Bat
- Volleyball & net
- Basket ball and hoop
- Hackey sack
- Croquet set
- Bocce ball set
- Small beanbags for bean bag toss
- Beach ball or nerf balls (for dodge ball)
- Flags (for capture the flag)
- Deck of cards
- Divide children into two teams and move them to opposite ends of the yard. For each team, line up the players side-by-side (holding hands).
- To begin, team 1 chants "Red Rover, Red Rover, we call Johnny over!" Johnny from team 2 must run towards team 1 and try to break through their interlocked arms.
- If successful, Johnny selects a player from team 1 to join him on team
- If Johnny is unable to break through team 1's arms, then he joins team 1. The game continues until one team has all the players.
Red Light/Green Light
- One person is the "stoplight". Position other players on one end of the yard and the stoplight at the opposite end. (The stoplight turns his or her back to the players.)
- The object of the game is to be first to touch the stoplight without being eliminated.
- The stoplight begins by saying "green light" and kids walk towards him or her. When the stoplight says "red light", he or she quickly turns around. Whoever is still moving after the red light command is given is out of the game.
- The game continues until all participants are out of the game or one of them touches the stoplight. Whoever touches the stoplight first becomes the stoplight. Whoever touches the stoplight first becomes the stoplight in the next round.
- Use either string or chalk to create your hopscotch board.
- Each player takes turns tossing a small stone into square 1. He or she must then hop over square 1 to square 2 and continue hopping throughout the board, picking up his or her stone on the return trip down the board.
- The next time around, the player will throw his or her marker in square 2 and so on.
- A player is out if he or she loses his or her balance, steps on a line, steps in the square that contains his or her marker or if the player puts an extra foot or hand down when picking up the marker.
- Have everyone pick a partner.
- Give each pair one balloon filled with water. Form two lines with partners facing each other, about 5 feet apart.
- Have each person GENTLY throw the balloon to their partner. Once everyone's had a turn, have all the players take one giant step backwards and repeat the throw and catch routine.
- The pair with the last remaining unburst balloon wins.
- Divide the crowd into two teams and set up a course.
- Have the first person on each team take a spoon and place an egg on it.
- He or she runs around the course, then passes the egg on the spoon GENTLY to the next person in line.
- The first team to complete the course without breaking the egg wins.